Fairy Tail: Mages of Destiny

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A non-canon fourm based off of the popular anime Fairy Tail

I forgot my password

Latest topics

» Black Clover RP
Gming and not doing it EmptySat Nov 11, 2017 2:08 am by Xero

» Legends of Abraxas
Gming and not doing it EmptyMon Feb 20, 2017 2:54 pm by Xero

» General Rules and Regulations
Gming and not doing it EmptyWed May 13, 2015 7:47 am by Mage of Destiny

» Sage Knights and Dark Lords
Gming and not doing it EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 12:52 am by Mage of Destiny

» Stat System
Gming and not doing it EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 12:43 am by Mage of Destiny

» Mana System
Gming and not doing it EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 12:41 am by Mage of Destiny

» Experience System
Gming and not doing it EmptySat Feb 21, 2015 12:36 am by Mage of Destiny

» Fairy Tail Forever
Gming and not doing it EmptyMon Aug 04, 2014 12:38 pm by Guest

» Gods of kiloran
Gming and not doing it EmptyWed Jun 04, 2014 10:41 pm by Guest

» Royal Military Ranking System
Gming and not doing it EmptyMon May 12, 2014 1:34 pm by Jayzaku Vista

» Just a walk {open}
Gming and not doing it EmptySat Oct 05, 2013 7:34 am by Moriko Elizabeth Vaden

» Naruto Battle Royal
Gming and not doing it EmptyTue Sep 03, 2013 3:03 pm by Maya NBR

» A Stroll [PM for Permission]
Gming and not doing it EmptySat Aug 10, 2013 11:31 pm by Jayzaku Vista

» Deus Mortuus [Original Site]
Gming and not doing it EmptySat Jul 27, 2013 11:11 am by Cromwell

» A Fun Day [Heero Villenn]
Gming and not doing it EmptyMon Jul 22, 2013 7:17 am by Hikari Shirokawa

Who is online?

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

[ View the whole list ]

Most users ever online was 82 on Wed May 15, 2019 11:01 am

Affiliates

Our Button

Fairy Tail MOD

Fairy Tail Rebirth

Fairy Tail MOD

---

affliates

Fairy Tail MOD

Fairy Tail MOD

Gming and not doing it

Heero Villenn
    Heero Villenn
    Admin

Character sheet
    Primary: Soul of Belial
    Stats:
    Secondary:

Gming and not doing it Empty Gming and not doing it

Post by Heero Villenn Mon Jun 24, 2013 8:00 pm

guide to GMing and what not to do
    Note: I direct this at no one. If you want to put your own examples of godmodding make sure it’s you whose doing it. Mistakes happen. I won’t judge you or treat you like crap because you made a booboo.

The time factor: Basically you aren’t supposed to manipulate time or space. This is a given and everyone understands this. What if I have an ability that controls time? Well if the said site allows such an ability it’s probably got enough restrictions on it to make such an ability fair. You still however have to follow the flow of the fight even if it’s not in your favor or if it means losing.

This means specifically if you make an attack or perform an action. You have to finish it. Even if it fails it has happened. You can’t just change your mind. It disrupts play.

“But Ean he used an attack to defend against my attack. If I continue my attack I’ll be hit as well!”

True that. However if it makes logical sense you can still move through the attack and hit him afterwards. You may take damage but he will take the hit as well regardless. You can also make slight adjustments that don't change the overall and still dodge the attack. Or if the attack would be forced to be stopped if you dodged than you can dodge and not make the attack.

In the end if you feel like the need, get your admin or somebody to take care of the situation if something seems amiss or you feel your being cheated.

I’d just like to point out that this is one of the most common ways to gm for rookies and anyone whose never been called out on gming before. I’ve done it a few times (not here) and will probably do it once or twice here by mistake in a heated battle.

Autohitting: Another bad habit many rookie rpers have is autohitting. This is when you make an attack and it hits your opponent without a chance of dodging. Are there going to be times when your opponent just can’t dodge your attack. Yes. It happens. However let them get in trouble for dodging what should be undodgable rather than forcing the autohit. The easiest way to do this is to just say things like. “Fred thrust his sword at bob’s chest…” rather than “Fred thrust his sword into bob’s chest…”

If somebody autohits however it’s an easy mistake to fix. As the other player what should you do. First even if the attack should hit you anyways you can get a free bullshit dodge. However make sure you actually point out how you dodged even if it’s huge bullshit. It maintains the flow and when flow is disrupted it pisses people off and it just creates havoc. Or you could be fair and just take the hit anyway if you could not have dodged the hit. It’s entirely up to you.

However after you post at the bottom add a little OOC notice that this happened, quote it to let your rp partner know he did it, ask him not to do it again, and move on with life and the thread. It’s fast and simple. If he/she gets all bitchy you have a quote to prove it happened and you’ll win any argument he throws out at you or at least should. Also if you bs dodged let him know you are aware you did that and that you did it for this reason. It’s not a big deal.

OOC vs. IC: Remember that you are not your character. Just because you know something doesn’t mean your character does. It also doesn’t mean your character can figure it out. If he/she can, great. But if you bs your way through it just for your own advantage or personal gain you’re just going to piss everybody else and make the thread less enjoyable.

I’d also avoid bringing personal vendetta’s and any personal disdain towards a person for whatever into an rp. You are not your character. Don’t get mixed up in the two. If your pissed about something and feel you’ll do this, take a day or two off to cool down. This isn’t really considered gming but it does make you look like a huge dick and can make people like you less even if it was just a personal mistake.

I’ll make a single not in this whole thread directing to something and that’s that there’s a rumor going around about a potential spy in the alliance. As a character I’m like “Oh shit I gotta find out who the spy is and make sure I prevent him from leaking vital information to the enemy!” As a player though I’m more or less uncaring about the whole situation and I’m not going to keep another player from letting their character take the course they want. I see good chances for plot development for the site and maybe my character so I have no problem with it.

Anime vs. Physics: This rp is based off of an anime/manga. Your punch can send people through walls and flying into the sky and into the next town. You can fight your way through broken legs and walk on them. However if your legs are broken. You’re not moving nearly as fast as you normally could. Even if you can’t feel the pain the effects remain. You just don’t notice them. It’s more of a hindrance to not feel pain than to feel pain actually. Your character is still a human by some level or meaning of the word. If there’s no possible way for you to do something, don’t do it. Yes it's an anime but no that doesn't mean you can do anything and everything.

Basically you can’t bullshit your way out of the following:
    -paralysis
    -getting your head chopped off.
    -multiple broken bones
    -severed limbs.
    -~insert other method here~

If you do you’re doing it wrong.

Players vs. rules: The site has the rules for a reason. But what if players don’t like the rules? That’s fine. As long as your rp partners agree to that set of rules you want to play by I don’t think anyone will complain if you play by them. Just don’t force players to play by your rules. The site rules are fair even if there not perfect. Not site rules are perfect. Don’t force people to play by your set of rules though and live with the site rules and don’t extend those rules set for one thread by mistake to another thread. It’s not a good idea.

Example: If the rules give a 24 hour posting limit but all players in the thread want to do a 48 hour posting limit for real life reasons or whatever. Do it. I doubt Takai or any of the staff will have a problem with it.

Oh no I lost!: I understand that nobody wants to lose a fight. Who does? But make sure you understand this. If you’ve won every fight you’ve ever fought via rp and took maybe two hits in all those fights put together, you’ve either fought mostly people vastly below your characters level of power, or YOU'RE DOING IT WRONG. You’re going to get hit and you’re going to lose fights. It’s not a big deal. Especially here where if you die it's because you wanted to die or chose to.

Cooperate: Lastly you need to cooperate with your rp partners. If you don’t understand something ask and if you are asked answer truthfully. Make sure everyone’s on the same page to avoid mistakes.

The best way to do this without bogging and slowing things down is combat spoilers in an OOC section at the bottom of your post. Add every attack you do(magical or otherwise) and post the spells you use here as well. This limits confusion and lets the opponent know that they have to figure out how to dodge this or not dodge this. It may seem a little tedious and it is a little but it makes a huge difference towards maintaining the flow as where some threads don’t have these and everything goes to hell because nobodies on the same page. If it’s not enough which sometimes it’s not, pms and talking to each other helps to.

In conclusion: I would lastly like to add that I probably missed something and if I did I’ll add it later. If you want to add something I missed that’s fine but be respectful and don’t call anyone out. This is a thread to try and help a little not a thread to be an obnoxious bitch and hate on anybody. I’m certain staff will be more than happy to lock the thread and delete all aggressively toned posts and just let this be only readable.

As for staff do what you like with this, add what you want just let this thread take its course and afterwards if theres a problem feel free to deal with it. I just want to contribute and help in whatever way I can.

lastly because I feel compelled to say this and should: Staff will help you if you tell them whats going on. It's a small staff and they can't watch everything. If you feel like your opponent is godmodding bring it up with staff and let them figure it out. We have awesome staff members who probably don't look to kindly on gming. They can't however get to everything unless you tell them it's going on.

edit in: Title change after being told to by Sevryn and his sticky. If the title is still to long feel free to change it to something more subtle and catchie or whatever floats your boat.

note to all: again it may be incomplete and I may add more later. If I do I will bump so you can read new sections.

requested additions:

Ean! My opponent is dodging all of my attacks he must be godmodding!: This statement is a maybe. First off, what were your attacks? Were they all point blank? Were they charging attacks at an evadable speed? Is he ten times stronger than you to begin with? The circumstance is something you need to understand. Just because he’s dodging all your attacks doesn’t mean he’s godmodding necessarily. He might be. But you might just be running around swinging a sword around like a flailing magikarp. Basically what I’m saying is, think before you call someone out. It might actually be your fault and not his.

Even sword fight scenario: You’re of even power and your both using swords or some sort of weapon. By the end of the fight, both of you are probably injured. The story is also cooler if you both get injured. Plus if you take the risk of getting your arm chopped off and you still win the fight. Your character may be stuck without an arm for a while or forever but you look more badass.

Current date/time is Thu May 02, 2024 5:20 am